Saturday, August 16, 2008

Going off with the Girls - How Do You Feel About It ?

It's happened to all of us....we show up at the Golf Course or Club of choice for the day, perhaps as a single or perhaps lacking a full foursome, and we get paired with a female golfer or golfers. My gut tells me that the majority of us roll our eyes, shrug, or otherwise express some form of frustration.

Why ? Bad experience ? Lack of patience for the group using multiple tees ? Loss of the ability to tell dirty jokes ? Threatened perhaps (we'd never admit it, tho...) ? Or are we just chauvinistic pigs ?

I won't go all Dr. Phil on you here - but I will share some of my thoughts....

I play at a local CC where we have lots of female members, and plenty of them who are...well, lets just say they started playing golf waaay before graphite shafts were the norm. Therefore, I get plenty of exposure to all levels of golfers of the feminine persuasion. I will admit that early on, I did have some very frustrating outings with some chicks who just could NOT hit the ball. However, my recent experiences have been very different - as a matter of fact, I find that I am often playing with someone who is at least my equal ( I play to a 9 currently, so no sniggering..). I've met some delightful people, and had some really good times as well. Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like the level of golf played by ladies is a lot higher than it was 10 years ago.

However, it could be just me...so let me know what your experiences have been.