Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Support Net Neutrality, Not The FCC

http://blog.highspeedweb.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/neutral-bits.gif
I am a staunch supporter of net neutrality and am generally happy to see the direction the FCC is moving with regards to that subject (picking up Congress's slack), but is this an uncomfortable precedent? Are you comfortable with the FCC regulating the Internet?

Unless I am misinformed, the FCC has never been granted authority to regulate Internet traffic. Although I agree with their current position, I am not to sure that I want the people that punish radio stations for playing George Carlin having any hand in how I use the Internet. Certainly, the current position is a win for Internet users, but considering the FCC is usually dominated by the party in power, one has to wonder where it will go from here? 10 years from now? 20 years from now?

Just something to chew the fat over, and a reason to still strive for Congressional approval of net neutrality laws.