Monday, August 16, 2010

Big Bikes

They may be the bane of bicyclists in Taiwan but in the UK riding a big bike is (if the weather is good) a fantastic way to see the country and become part of a large community of riders who have a strong sense of camaraderie (always give a nod when passing another biker on the road). On Saturday I visited a Honda showroom to have a look at some of the models and accessories and on Sunday, my brother and his wife took me out for a ride on their machines to a local rider's cafe on the A4074 from Reading to Oxford. First up, Em tries out a Kawasaki 600 which, despite the protestations of her husband, will not be the next bike she'll be riding ...

This beast below has an angular feel on the front .. a bit minimal for my taste.

Whereas this model below was almost ridiculous in its length and narrow width ... I could barely touch the pedals. Looks sleek but utterly impractical.

A big phat tourer ala 'Chips'. Looks great, weighs a ton.

Matt and Em's bikes respectively. On the left a Honda 125. On the right a Honda Fireblade 990. I rode pillion on the latter - a truly underpants soiling experience (from fear not delight - the acceleration is like (to paraphrase Bike magazine) 'a grenade going off in silk lined knickers'.

Me kitted up in leathers ready for the ride out (part tough biker pose, part frightened in anticipation of what is to come).

After a 30 minute ride out on the Fireblade we stopped at the H Cafe. Being a sunny Sunday, it was full of bikers and a great opportunity to see what everyone else is riding ... I think this is Buell ...

Quite a few Triumphs out on the mac ... a nice soft tail here

Another not green Kawasaki .. I liked the all black finish though the Triumph Sprint ST was a sexier model ...

Got £15,000? (That's about NT$745,415) ... pick yourself up a KTM monster as below ...

Aprilla are a brand making a comeback. Sleek 'Streethawk' lines on this one ...

Touring in style ... sit back and let the huge engine and its torque gracefully take you any distance you wish in comfort ...

A Yamaha Fazer FZ1 sans wingmirrors. Here's some blurb off the net:

When you open the throttle on the FZ1 Fazer/ABS, you’ll feel the surge of the R1 based 998cc in-line 4-cylinder engine.

Inside the aluminium chassis, this muscular engine delivers brutal performance in the mid-range, and excellent day-to-day versatility.
Ah ... finally a Kawasaki in traditional colours .. I've seen sexier models in Taiwan though ...

Another tourer with a huge front end ...

My goal is to get myself a big bike license and then buy myself a 600cc or near enough. Trouble is I'm not the biggest chap and I'm not Danny Pedrosa (excellent MotorGP rider who is my dimensions) so its not easy to know which bike to choose. Would love a sports bike but want to use it for commutes and long distance. My original idea was a ... Triumph Daytona 675 Triple:

My criteria for a bike is as follows:
a) Very fuel efficient
b) Sips engine oil rather than guzzles it
c) Good for commutes and long long rides
d) Has torque for hills and mountains but is not a 150bhp screamer
e) I can get my knee down on the really good bends
f) No more than 800cc

Any suggestions? (and please don't say 'get a bicycle' !)