Friday, July 16, 2010

Quotes of the Week - Inside China's Police-State

From the interrogation of Yu Jie on July 7th, 2010 by Policeman Mr. Zhu at Dougezhuang Police Station in Beijing: (Thanks to Foreigner In Formosa)

Zhu: I should remind you that you shouldn’t be taken advantage of by some anti-China forces. You see, since Obama came to power, the American embassy no longer keeps in touch with you. America is not reliable.

Yu Jie: I’m an independent intellectual beyond the control of any force. I criticize the CCP, not because America protects me. No matter what American policy will be, it won’t change my critical attitude toward the CCP. If you learn from my articles, you’ll see that since Obama became president, he hasn’t cared about Chinese human rights issues, but my critiques of the Communist government haven’t declined. Besides, I criticize Obama, not because he hasn’t seen me, as I never take the initiative to meet with these political figures. When I met with Bush, we didn’t know about it in advance. Today, I criticize Obama because I’m a hardcore Republican. Aside from his policies on China, I very much disagree with his domestic policies. If I was an American intellectual, I would criticize Obama more sharply than I criticized Wen Jiabao.

Zhu: You have a wife and a child, so don’t stand on the opposite side of the Party and government. When you reach the stage of Liu Xiaobo, it’s too late to turn back.

Zhu: You see what happened to Liu Xiaobo, and no Western countries can help him.

Yu Jie: You also have a wife and a child, and eventually there will come a day, within my lifetime, when your wife and child feel shameful of your evil acts…

Yu Jie: It’s my honor to live and write like Liu Xiaobo.

Zhu: Good, I admire this declaration. You’re not like some other people, who are easily crushed the first time they come under pressure, but I feel you’re very obstinate and subjective.