Sunday, July 11, 2010

UPDATE: Chunghua Post and the 'Republic of Taiwan'

A little while ago, I blogged on a news article that featured a claim that Chunghua Post had erased the 'Republic of Taiwan' from a piece of mail sent from the US to Taiwan. So I decided to do a little test to see if this was an 'unspoken policy' or a one-off incident. So far my results are as follows.

I have received two pieces of mail both featuring the words Republic of Taiwan (台灣國). Both came through to me without any amendments:


Conclusion: Chunghua Post clearly doesn't have a standard policy of 'modifying' the address of incoming mail. Perhaps the incident previously mentioned was caused by an overzealous member of staff in a unilateral action or some other reason is behind the amendment. Will keep checking as more mail comes in.