Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bloggers Beware - You May Get Blocked on Twitter !!!!

I'm writing today's post while waiting for the US Open to resume, sort of like Atlantis rising from the deep. As I sat here this morning, I was catching up on my reading, checking my favorite blogger's posts for the past week, and reading some of my recent posts. Something happened a couple of days ago that really "connected" two of my recents posts.The first post was from a few weeks back, when I wrote about what I regarded as the difference between a "journalist" and a "blogger". The second post was from last Sunday - when I pointed out that, despite some recent indications to the contrary, it seemed that when Michelle Wie has a microphone in front of her she reverts back to making excuses and other comments that can only be considered delusional. Yes, I have been called a "hater" by some - but I believe I'm doing nothing more than holding someone accountable for their comments made in a public forum.
In an effort to be completely open minded, I decided a few weeks ago to "follow" Ms. Wie on Twitter. During these few weeks, she made some witty and quite normal (140 character or less) remarks - and seems to be well accepted by her "tweeting" peers. In an effort to reach out to her, I sent her a "tweet" asking who she was picking to win the U.S. (Mens) Open.

Now, If you are wondering how these storylines converge, here is the punchline. I noticed today on my twitter account that "themichellewie" (her name on twitter - gotta love the "THE") had BLOCKED ME FROM GETTING HER UPDATES !. It would be funny if it were not so sad - I mean,seriously - she has like 4,000 "followers", and she (or someone from"Camp Wie") is tracking them to be sure none of them DARE say anything critical of her ? I guess I should not be surprised - her team has never dealt well with criticism. It's clear to me that these lame attempts to characterize her as "normal" are destined to fail.
I guess this means I won't get to read anymore profound thoughts from her on twitter like "Did u know that the 7-11 extreme gulp is 50% bigger than the volume of the human stomach?!? . or "i love you guys..whenever i read your comments its gives me such a confidence boost!" (Obv the last one was not meant for moi - what in the hell is she learning at Stanford ???)
Not exactly censorship I know - but pretty poor form (and thin skin) from someone who craves the spotlight....