Saturday, March 27, 2010

Quote of the Week

Window of a temple in Lukang, Chunghua County.

The ashes of some of the Black Cat squadron were returned to Taiwan this week. One of the squadron members made a very interesting comment:
“I was extremely sad that after all our comrades sacrificed for this country, their ashes lay in a foreign land for so long. The government has finally brought them back and put them to rest. I now feel content and relieved,” 82 year-old Hu Tien-peng (胡天鵬), a former paratrooper, told reporters.
This went against all my expectations. My supposition was that those who fought bravely and loyally for Chiang in operations against the PRC would have perhaps regarded China not as a foreign land, but as their home under occupation. That a former paratrooper describes China as a foreign land seems to indicate that perhaps a Taiwanese national identity has reached the older generation (not just 'native Taiwanese'). Am I reading too much into his quote?