Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Conversation

Tonight, myself and EVA went shopping behind the Taipei Main Station building for winter bits and bobs.  As is pedantically customary for me when buying seemingly well made but cheap products, I enquired as to the location of production of the items we wished to purchase.  I was told Taiwan.  Being a bit more of a prat I unnecessarily reinforced the acceptability of that answer with a declaration that I don't want to buy something from China.  I am happy now to accept the charge that I was being provocative, and perhaps rude also considering the cultural imperative to avoid confrontation, which often entails not discussing any potentially 'sensitive' subject (and boy are there a lot of them).

Contrary to what has often happened in this situation (laughter, proud denials any origin in China or a thumbs up and 'Jiayo!') the youngish lady (mid 30s?) running the 'till' looked at me queerly as if I had rubbed myself not quite accidentally in front of her and then asked me why I didn't like Chinese things, capping her question with the statement:

"I'm from Da-lu"


Me: "Ok. um ... how is it that you are working in Taiwan?"


Her: *looking confused*


Me: "Oh .. do you have a Taiwan Guo passport? Are you Taiwan Guo Ren?"


Her: *nods uncertainly*


Me: "So do you mean that your parents and grandparents come from China?"


Her: "Yes"

I didn't have the heart at this point to continue so we politely paid for the products and left.

What I guess shocked me about this incident and why I'm blogging it is because the woman came straight out with the "I'm from Da-lu."  There was no indication that she meant in the past or present.  Although many people might automatically assume she meant in the past, it came in the context of her defending China from the negative inference of my insistance that the products not come from China and the declaration that I don't buy Chinese products.

It's been a chilly wet miserable night in Taipei, physically and metaphorically.  Thank goodness for EVA, whose patience, stoicism and rational practicality are a soothing balm.  Thank goodness also for a southbound HSR.