Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Coming Soon To Politics in the UK

Lewis Prothero is not a name that most people will be familiar with.  Maybe that's because he's not a real person but rather a particularly insidious and nasty character in a massively underrated and I suspect deliberately overlooked 2005 feature film called V for Vendetta.  He is a media star and commentator al a Bill O'Reilly and Glen Beck - full of spewing hate and vindictiveness.  It is this quote from Mr Prothero that keeps coming to my mind as I read the news from the UK and many of the right wing comments in the Guardian's CiF section:
Godlessness. It wasn't the war they started. It wasn't the plague they created. It was Judgement. No one escapes their past. No one escapes Judgement. You think he's not up there? You think he's not watching over this country? How else can you explain it? He tested us, but we came through. We did what we had to do. Islington. Enfield. I was there, I saw it all. Immigrants, Muslims, homosexuals, terrorists. Disease-ridden degenerates. They had to go. Strength through unity. Unity through faith. I'm a God-fearing Englishman and I'm goddamn proud of it!