Monday, November 16, 2009

Republic Of Capitulation?

One really has to marvel at the rhetorical tightrope Ma's administration is walking as it attempts to convince Taiwanese that China's attitudes to Taiwan have changed, without having any solid evidence to prove that they have. A classic example was provided today of this Orwellian doublespeak:
Speaking to reporters at the Presidential Office during a prize-giving ceremony yesterday morning, Ma, speaking English, said:

“We try very hard to participate at least in the events of some specialized agencies of [the] UN. I don’t think the general assembly means too much to us, but if we can make it to, say, the UNFCCC [that would be desirable]. Of course, all this has to be actually in a way clear[ed] by mainland Chinese. They try to block our participation in the international events. But as we improve [our] relationship with them, they seem to be much more, I would say, relaxed in this area.”

Last night, Presidential Office spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said China blocked Taiwan’s participation in the convention, but added that Taiwan’s relationship with China had improved since Ma took office, and that Ma did not say that Beijing’s suppression had resulted in Taiwan being forced to participate via an NGO this year.

The U-turn came a day after Taiwan was prevented from attending a 19-nation breakfast meeting on the last day of the APEC to discuss climate change. Taiwan was the only APEC member not invited to the breakfast.
So, in summary:
  • joining the UN general assembly is NOT important to the Ma administration but ...
  • joining the UN Framework Conventions on Climate Change (UNFCCC) is desirable
  • Taiwan's participation in the UNFCCC and other bodies has to be cleared by China first
  • China blocks Taiwan's participation in the international events but ...
  • China is more relaxed about this issue because relations between KMT & CCP are good
  • China blocked Taiwan's participation in the UNFCCC but ...
  • that's OK because Taiwan-China relations have improved since Ma took office
I'm going to post again below a short skit I wrote a while back that I think demonstrates the logic of KMT-CCP cooperation and its likely impact on Taiwanese:

ACT 1 SCENE 1

A man steals another man's coat. They get into an argument:

Victim: You stole my coat!, give it back.

Thief: Are you sure you had a coat? Anyway, look, it's sunny and you have a nice pair of shoes so what are you complaining about?

Victim: I'm complaining about you taking my coat. It's also going to rain tomorrow.

Thief: Don't be so pessimistic. Look at that beautiful sun!

*Victim looks at the sun and is temporarily blinded. Thief steals his shoes*

Victim: Hey! what do you think you're doing? Give me those shoes back right now!

Thief: I'm sorry, I think you must be confused. I didn't take any 'shoes', I took a pair of 'sneakers' and in doing so we will all benefit. You just need to agree to the new consensus that you haven't lost anything of value because you donated it to help all of us. If you agree, we will all benefit in the future. If you don't agree we will be inevitably marginalised.

Victim: But you're wearing my shoes and coat and now it's raining. My feet are wet and sore and I'm cold.

Thief: We must remember to sacrifice something if we are to move forward. I am not wearing anything. We are wearing the things we need to move forward.

Victim: I see you're not cold or wet so what's your sacrifice?

*Thief ignores his comment*

Thief 2: Hey there compatriot. Nice coat. Nice sneakers!

Thief 1: Thanks! *blushing*

Thief 2: Hey, since we look similar and speak the same language, I'm going to need to take the sneakers and the coat for a while, a long while. Kind of need them to feel secure about myself. I just worry that if I feel insecure then I might hurt someone. *looking at Victim*

Thief 1: Sure! Hope I can join your gang one day!

Victim: Hey! Those are my ...

Thief 1 and 2: Shut up! you troublemaker .... the consensus is that all compatriots own the sneakers and the coat but that the biggest compatriot needs to wear them to help us all. All those that oppose this practical and rational consensus don't want peace and harmony and don't deserve to exist. Do you want to exist? This is inevitable and your complaining dooms you.