Sunday, October 26, 2008

Accessories

"I am glad, though, that she brought up accessories also. Let me tell you a little bit about a couple of accessories, didn't think that we would be talking about it, but my earrings — I see a Native Americans for Palin poster," she said. "These are beaded earrings from Todd's mom who is a Yupik Eskimo up in Alaska, Native American, Native Alaskan.
"And my wedding ring, it's in Todd's pocket, 'cause it hurts sometimes when I shake hands and it gets squished," she continued. "A $35 wedding ring from Hawaii that I bought myself and 'cause I always thought with my ring it's not what it's made of, it's what it represents, and 20 years later, happy to wear it. And then finally the other accessory, you bet I'm a gold — I'm a blue star mom. I'm wearing this in honor of my son who is fighting over in Iraq right now defending all of you."

This is a clip from CNN.com from Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's speech in Tampa Florida tonight. She prefaced this rattling off of sentimental accessories saying that the whole wardrobe thing is sexist and being blown way out of proportion. If you have ever been in a Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue then you know that $150,000 total is nothing but a drop in the hat for the people shopping there. Yes this is contrary to her down home-everyday mom portrayal but as everybody has experienced $100 here and $50 there adds up in a hurry. Yes $150,000 is more than most people make in a year but seriously sometimes you need to dress the part. If you are fighting for the Vice Presidency of all people I hope you are wearing quality clothes from Neimans or Saks. Now my father would disagree with this statement but that's because clothes aren't his thing. Talk hunting gear and you can start the tab as far as he's concerned. So if she bought some camo he might justify it. Anyway the point is the woman needed to look the part and thrift store clothing wouldn't cut it so she and her family got new clothes. Is this really interesting enough to be splashed on the pages of CNN and Fox? Not in my opinion..but I do hope the're cute.