Thursday, October 30, 2008

Joe the American Hero?

Words fail me as I try to understand America's obsession with the real "Joe the plumber." Samuel J. Wurzelbacher is his name, and his instant celebrity astounds me. After his first moments in the spotlight, I honestly thought he would slip away into anonymity once again. However, just over two weeks after the third presidential debate, his media presence continues. Wurzelbacher has become a twisted representation of the average American. I fail to see why everyone feels it necessary to broadcast his thoughts and feelings across the nation. Yes, he is "average." He is a single, working father with his own business and some tax problems, but in my world that does not give him the right to represent the "average Joe" the candidates seem so willing to relate to.
I honestly don't care that this man has endorsed John McCain, who Wurzelbacher calls "a real American." He has also hired a public relations team from Nashville to represent him, especially since McCain has now started referring to him as his role model and "an American hero." Will someone please explain to me how an unlicensed plumber from Toledo, Ohio has become and American hero for simply questioning Obama's tax policies? I just don't get it.