Wednesday, October 22, 2008

How Sharp would You Like Your VP to Be?

What would you do with 150 thousand dollars? Better yet, what should a political party do with 150 thousand dollars? Obviously, the Republican Party thinks it is best to spend it on the wardrobe of their Vice-Presidential nominee. I am not writing this particular blog as a diss to the Republican Party, or any party or person for that matter. I am just trying to wrap my head around the facts and what I believe is right and/or wrong with the spending of 150 thousand dollars on a person’s wardrobe.

To be honest for one second, I shop. In fact, I shop a lot….probably more than the average person. However, when I shop, it is done with my own expenses. I believe my main argument against the spending of donations on Palin’s wardrobe is primarily wrong because it was done with donations through the Republican National Committee. Especially since in 2002, McCain put his name on a campaign finance law that barred any funds from being used for personal expenses such as clothing.

Furthermore, the committee has spent more on Palin’s wardrobe in the last month than the average American spends on clothing a year. None of this is what upsets me the most. The United States Congress recently voted on a bailout plan worth billions of dollars in order to “save” Americans while we are in a recession. Just three months ago, gas prices were at the highest they had ever been. States such as Texas and Atlanta were recently struggling to find gas at all due to damage from natural disasters and the Republican Party has money to spend on clothing? I am shocked and appalled.

The committee is trying to use the fact that the clothing will be donated to charity after the election as a positive spin. However, with Americans currently losing jobs on a daily basis, I am sure many people would rather love food on their tables versus $1500 suits stitched by Roberto Cavalli for Neiman Marcus. Is this the party that I want ruling the country?

And it really gets me that Fox News is trying to use excuses such as Palin looking good, sexism, and new anchors constantly getting freebees as a justification, but that would be an entirely separate blog in itself.