Friday, October 31, 2008

Some of Obama's supporters are nervous that their votes won't be counted. In a Jacksonville Journal article, black voters in Jacksonville, Florida express their concerns that their early votes won't be counted or that something will go wrong on Election Day. One woman said she was "queasy," nervous that the power at the voting centers will cut off that mysteriously the bus system in the minority area of town will somehow shut down in November 4th. For these people interviewed for the artible, this election means everything.

"I feel good, and I don't feel good," one man said. "I'm thankful to God that this is happeneing in my lifetime, that I get to see it. But I'm not ready to celebrate anything. This could be a very tricky time for us. I don't trust the polls. And the state of Florida has had a lot of crooked things going on."

This anciety is stemming from the 2000 election when many votes were lost or thrown out in Duvall County, Florida. It's said that most of these votes were Democratic--leaving the black, mainly-Democratic section of the town worried.

I wonder if this worrying is simply paranoia or if these voters really do have reason to worry. How could votes simply be thrown away during a presidential election in the United States of America? Is our democracy really that flawed or are these voters simply nervous for no reason? I also wonder if these people are worried for all Democratic Party votes or just black, Democratic notes. It'll be interesting to see hwo November 4th goes--if the bus system in Duvall County suddenly shuts down or if the electricity mysteriously turns off.